How to SORN your vehicle

How to SORN your vehicle

What is SORN?

SORN stands for Statutory Off Road Notification and it enables you to notify the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) that your vehicle is not being used on the road.

How long does a SORN last?

After registering your car as SORN, it will last indefinitely. This means that you will not need to update the SORN on your vehicle until you intend to use, sell or scrap the vehicle.

How do I register my vehicle as SORN?

  1. You can register your vehicle as SORN for free online.
    Head over to WWW.GOV.UK/MAKE-A-SORN

    From here, you can follow the instructions on the website.

    You will require your vehicle log book to register a SORN. If you do not have a log book, you will need to apply for a new one on the GOV website that will cost £25.

  2. You can apply for a SORN by post.

    To do this, you will need access to a V890 form on the GOV website.

    Simply fill out the form with all the relevant information and send it back to the DVLA.

  3. You can also register your vehicle as SORN by calling the DVLA on 0300 123 4321.

What are the benefits of a SORN?

  • The vehicle will no longer need to be insured for road usage
  • The vehicle will no longer need a valid MOT
  • Any remaining months of paid vehicle TAX will be refunded

Can I drive my vehicle on the road after it is registered as SORN?

No. The only time you are able to drive your SORN vehicle on public roads is when travelling to a pre-booked MOT. If you are stopped by police, you will need to provide proof that you have a pre-booked MOT so make sure you are carrying the relevant information with you.